Monday, August 21, 2006

Re: What A Propaganda Article Brought To You By Qwest

Garth,
 
They also forgot one thing, that is that most household phones these days use power due to their portability as wireless handsets.  I haven't seen a phone that doesn't use power in years.  And as you pointed out, cell phones can be charged in a car if needed.  Try charging a handset in a car!  As well, my cell phone batteries last for days.  I think on average I charge my phone 3.5 times per week.  I don't think power outages are even an issue.  If your power is our more than a few hours, it is usually due to something severe enough to knock down power poles, which means landline telephony won't work either because those lines are down also. 
 
Remember how they tell everyone not to make calls during an earthquake in order to keep the lines that do work open for emergency crews? Well, cell phones relieve that problem.  And the towers themselves are extremely resilient  Let's remember that when September 11th happened, people were able to use cell phones without many problems.  I remember cell phone usage during that time was at record volumes as relatives from all over were calling the cell phone numbers of loved ones in NY to see if they were affected.  Try that with a copper land line.  (Oh, and did I mention that the long distance call for all of those who used a cell phone was free?)

 

No comments: